-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Holdman
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 7:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Learning Center Etiquette

I have been the Director of our Learning Center for 6 years now.  When I
first began most of the usage was recreational.  There is no lounge in
the building and I realize students need a place to relax and hang out
making my job difficult.  I have developed a list of rules and they are
posted.  I refer students to the list upon occasion.  Attached is the
list of rules.

Athletic teams use this facility for study halls also.  Before an
athelete can be admitted to study they must sign a contract which
details expected behavior and consequences resulting from misbehavior.
It works well and I am pleased.  There have been only a few athletes
that need my special attention.  The coaches have been very good in
helping me enforce discipline with these special cases.

In addition I use work-study students as peer tutors, study session
leaders and staff.  They also have contracts detailing expectations and
consequences.  Work-study students must be studying while in the
Learning Center.  They are instructed to be role models.

I am constantly reminding students to be quiet.  Conversation is only
allowed with the person next to you.  I stop all conversation that is
further away.  I am happy with the results.  Most activity is quiet and
many students use the facility for academics. So it seems to work.

If you have any specific questions please ask.

Bill Holdman
Learning Center Director
Hiwassee College
Madisonville Tn  37354
On Monday, March 13, 2006  5:14 PM, Ramage, Travis wrote:

>Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:14:53 -0600
>From: Ramage, Travis
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Learning Center Etiquette
>
>Dear LISTSERV members,
>

>I have a question about learning center etiquette. We will have a brand
>new "tutorial" space this fall.  We currently have a "learning lab"
>consisting of 2 round tables, math tutors, writing tutors, and about 9
>computers around the parameter of the room.  The developmental English
>instructor and myself are developing a proposal for our new space this
>fall.  Our first goal is to recommend a name change from "Learning Lab"
>to "The Learning Center."  We would also like to propose some standard
>policies relating to behavior in the center.  Currently students use
the
>space more as a social hangout, bringing in their lunch, talking about
>boyfriends/girlfriends, parties, and other non-academic topics.  While
>am not against socializing and discussing a variety of topics with
>fellow classmates, I have heard from several students who have been
>deterred from entering the space because it was too loud, they felt
>unwelcome, and didn't know who to ask for help in the space.
>

>As we develop a proposal for the new space we are acquiring this fall,
>would like to solicit input from the LISTSERV regarding the atmosphere
>you maintain in your respective centers.
>

>PS  You should also know we do not have a director for our space.  The
>new space will have offices for our two developmental math instructors
>and one developmental English instructor.  These instructors will be
the
>only "monitors" besides the math and writing tutors.
>

>Travis Ramage
>
>Coordinator of Adult Student Services/
>
>Academic Assistance Advisor
>
>UW-Barron County
>
>1800 College Drive
>
>Rice Lake, WI  54868
>
>Phone: (715) 234-8176  #5438
>
>Fax: (715) 234-8024
>
>E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>
>Website: www.barron.uwc.edu <http://www.barron.uwc.edu>

browser to

browser to