One thing that doesn't change is the need to change!
At Durham College/ University of Ontario Institute of Technology in
Oshawa, Ontario, we are currently The Learner Support Centre (LSC) under
Student Services. Our director oversees both the LSC and Centre for
Students with Disabilities. We offer academic assistance via peer
tutoring, subject specific clinics facilitated by learning advisors,
study strategies workshops, and computer assisted tutorials on our 24
computers.
For several years we were The Learning Centre reporting to the Library.
When The Police Learning Centre was opened, students and staff became
confused because the new police centre was referred to as The Learning
Centre. We suddenly had two Learning Centres on campus. Our dean and VP
suggested that we change our name to reflect student success and
support; however, our current name has proven to be too wide as students
often come to us for everything from financial to health needs. Once
again we are pondering a new name, but ideally one that would keep the
LSC logo.
Wendy Trotter
Learning Advisor
Durham College