Most of our tutoring is on a drop-in basis.  When, however, students arrange for individualized tutoring by appt., we have tutee and tutor fill out a form including contact info. and a statement that tutoring by appointment will be discontinued after three no-shows.  Advance notice of cancellatin of the session by the tutee is not regarded as a no show.  If the tutee does not show and no cancellation notice has been provided, the tutor is paid for the scheduled time, provided they choose to stay in the center and are available to anyone who may drop in and need help.

Maura

Maura O'Connor
Coordinator of Learning Assistance Services
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, Maine  04005
207-602-2561

>>> [log in to unmask] 3/24/06 6:05 PM >>>
Hello all. Happy Friday!

I'm wondering how you deal with students who cancel appointments with
tutors at the last minute or don't show up at all and don't call to
cancel. Do you revoke their tutoring privileges after two no-shows, for
example, do you ask students to pay the tutor, or. . .? And how do you
enforce the policy? Also, and perhaps more importantly, do you still pay
your tutors when their tutees don't show up or when they cancel at the
last minute? What kind of policies are you using?

Thanks for your help.

Chrisa Hotchkiss

Director of Learning Services

Dominican University of California