When I came to our college two years ago we had a drop in tutoring
service four evenings a week for 3 hours each evening with four tutors
available each evening.  Our statistics showed that our tutors were only
used at most 50% of the time.

Since then we have gone to a appointment based tutoring program.  We
actually spent less the first year and met every request.

We have moved to some small group(up to 3) particularly in Math if the
students were in class with the same professor.  We felt if they were
needing help with the same material the group dynamic could actually
enrich the experience.  However I have told the tutor if the skill
levels were so disproportionate we would create individual sessions so
we would be holding a better student back.

We however do not have any permenant tutoring space and use a classroom
in the building we are housed in if available or go into the library
next door.  Permanent space would be a nice plus.

Suzanne McCarthy
Director of Learning Support
H & B Smith Learning Center
908.852.1400 X2376