-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ramage, Travis
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: College Reading Course Syllabi

Dear all,

I forwarded the article, "What the ACT Reveals About College Readiness
in Reading/blurb/pdf link to 63 page report", that was posted to the
LISTSERV yesterday, to our faculty and staff with the following
comments:

"I thought this data was interesting and worth sharing.  The article
provides strategies for what high schools can do to improve readiness
for reading.  Unfortunately, I didn't see any suggestions in the article
on what we can do for students who are not ready to read college texts."

My e-mail resulted in a meeting today with our Campus Dean, Associate
Campus Dean, Assistant Dean for Student Services, Developmental
Writing/Reading Instructor and myself to offer a course from our catalog
called LEA 101: Speed Reading and Efficiency in Reading.  The course
description reads, "The aim of this course is to help the student
develop the vocabulary and comprehension skills needed for studying
college material.  The student learns to analyze challenging materials
for immediate understanding and interpret it for long-term memory."

Since we have never offered the course before on our campus (we are one
of 13 UW Colleges Freshman/Sophomore campuses in Wisconsin), I am
soliciting your help to provide examples for textbooks and syllabi that
you have used on your respective campuses for courses that match our
course description.  I posed a similar question back in May asking in
general about reading courses you offer and found that several campuses
teach a similar course.  However, now that we are going to teach a
course, I am look for specifics rather than having to start from ground
zero in the course development process.

Our plan is to offer two sections of LEA 101 as a one-credit, non-degree
course this fall.  The course will be offered the first five weeks of
the semester, twice a week for 75 min (i.e., T Th from 2:00 pm - 3:15
pm).  The target population will be our conditional admit students who
scored less than a 17 on their ACT and/or students who place into our
ENG 098: Basic Composition course based on the University of WI English
Placement Test scores.

I would appreciate any guidance you could provide.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Travis Ramage

Coordinator of Adult Student Services/

Academic Assistance Advisor

UW-Barron County

1800 College Drive

Rice Lake, WI  54868

Phone: (715) 234-8176  #5438

Fax: (715) 234-8024

E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Website: www.barron.uwc.edu <http://www.barron.uwc.edu>

browser to