At our community college 18 years ago we purposefully integrated the newly created developmental English and Math courses into their respective divisions, Humanities and Science.  We did not want to "compartmentalize" those courses (or "ghettoize," as some said), which can result in their being looked at as separate from the learning and teaching that occurs in the English and Math departments. We believed that this integration of the developmental courses would also help with the evolution of people thinking "remedial" to thinking "developmental."

We've been very pleased with this decision and have not regretted it for a moment (as far as I'm aware!).  We also have an excellent, award-winning developmental English program.

I would be interested to see what the research shows contrary to our experience.

Grace Rhodes
Academic Skills Center
Shoreline Community College
Shoreline, WA.