I have been the Director of our Learning Center for 6 years now.  When I first began most of the usage was recreational.  There is no lounge in the building and I realize students need a place to relax and hang out making my job difficult.  I have developed a list of rules and they are posted.  I refer students to the list upon occasion.  Attached is the list of rules.

Athletic teams use this facility for study halls also.  Before an athelete can be admitted to study they must sign a contract which details expected behavior and consequences resulting from misbehavior.  It works well and I am pleased.  There have been only a few athletes that need my special attention.  The coaches have been very good in helping me enforce discipline with these special cases.

In addition I use work-study students as peer tutors, study session leaders and staff.  They also have contracts detailing expectations and consequences.  Work-study students must be studying while in the Learning Center.  They are instructed to be role models.

I am constantly reminding students to be quiet.  Conversation is only allowed with the person next to you.  I stop all conversation that is further away.  I am happy with the results.  Most activity is quiet and many students use the facility for academics. So it seems to work.

If you have any specific questions please ask.

Bill Holdman
Learning Center Director
Hiwassee College
Madisonville Tn  37354