-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nic Voge
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 4:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Reading persons/NADE presentation/conference: Read Right
March 24-26/FW: Struggling Freshmen: Can the Epidemic of Reading
Problems be Stopped?

Hi All,
I mistakenly sent this message to only Dan yesterday, but I'd like to
hear what other listers have to say, so I'm posting it again--this
time to the entire list.

With respect to the content of the article maybe there are people on
the list who can answer a couple of questions that I have. Jean La
Bauve is quoted as saying, "We've been teaching information
processing. We haven't been teaching reading." And, I believe I heard
Dee Tadlock say something very similar, if not identical, at the last
CRLA conference and I didn't understand what she meant. But La Bauve
goes on to say, "If they struggle to access the information in the
first place because of reading problems, how can they be expected to
process it?" Without knowing any more than what appears here, it
seems like these two statements are contradictory. Isn't the first
one suggesting that there is something wrong or missing about
teaching reading as information processing, and the second quote
saying we should be teaching information processing? I can't figure
this out.

My sense that the Read Right approach actually emphasizes information
processing while suggesting its limitations  is affirmed by my
reading of the following sentences in the article: "Teaching the
brain to think that it must simply identify words in order to read is
very misleading and can deter the brain in figuring out the much more
complex process correctly." Talking about brains in this
anthropomorphic way as if human brains "think" and "figure out"
things and are "deterred" is emblematic of information-processing and
computational theories of cognition. So, it seems to me that this
approach is rooted in an information-processing view of reading.

If anyone can shed light on this for the list, I'd greatly appreciate
it.
Thanks,
Nic

>Spokane Falls Community College Students Experience
>
>Rapid Success with New Reading Intervention
>

>A Spokane Falls Community College student previously identified with
>dyslexia struggled with reading her whole life. A few months after she
began
>tutoring with a fundamentally new reading program, she was reading
>paragraphs with comfort and ease-a feat that surprised even the young
>woman's mother.
>

>It didn't take a miracle to help the young woman. It took adult basic
>education staff at SFCC trained in a highly effective tutoring
methodology
>to systematically guide the woman out of her reading problem.
>

>Something Is Missing
>

>Typically, college reading programs teach critical thinking, text
analysis,
>study skills, test-taking and various other skills to students who are
>struggling with college-level material, said Jean La Bauve, a reading
>teacher at SFCC.  "There is a missing link here," she told attendees at
the
>National Association of Developmental Education's (NADE) annual
conference
>in Philadelphia last month. "We've been teaching information
processing. We
>haven't been teaching reading."
>

>Excellent reading ability must be in place for college students to gain
>information from text with efficiency and ease, La Bauve noted. If they
>struggle to access the information in the first place because of
reading
>problems, how can they be expected to process it?
>

>The tutoring methodology being used by SFCC to address student reading
>problems is called Read Right*, and it was developed by Dee Tadlock,
Ph.D.,
>a reading expert, former classroom teacher, and former President of the
>College Reading and Learning Association who has worked with students
of all
>ages-elementary students through adults. La Bauve and Joan Nealey,
director
>of SFCC's Communications Learning Center, invited Tadlock to co-present
with
>them at NADE's annual conference.
>

>Reading Is a Process
>

>Passage reading is a complex process performed by the brain, Tadlock
>explained. The problem with initial reading instruction is that it
doesn't
>reflect the complexities involved. Emphasis is commonly placed on
learning
>separate, discrete skills with the focus on the identification of
individual
>words. Teaching the brain to think that it must simply identify words
in
>order to read is very misleading and can deter the brain in figuring
out the
>much more complex process correctly. Annually, the dichotomy results in
>millions of children and teens that struggle with reading, leading
>ultimately to millions of college students who struggle with their
>coursework.
>

>The solution, Tadlock said, is to fix the reading problem at its
core-at the
>level of the neural circuitry that must be constructed to appropriately
>guide the complex process of reading.
>

>SFCC is the first community college in the nation to adopt Tadlock's
reading
>intervention, which is used by more than 200 elementary, middle, and
high
>schools throughout the country. It has also been implemented with over
5,200
>adults in workforce literacy projects. Hewlett Packard named Read Right
as
>Best Practice, and Weyerhaeuser implemented the special tutoring
program
>with over 1250 employees in 30 plants, winning a national Literacy
Award in
>the Paper Industry as a result.
>

>Joan Nealey and her staff are very impressed with the results with
their
>college students.
>
>Since first implementing its Read Right program a year and a half ago,
SFCC
>has provided over 1,500 hours of tutoring to 111 students, who are
averaging
>more than one grade level of gain in reading ability for every 10 hours
of
>tutoring. The gains are rapid and permanent-and foundational to success
in
>the college environment.
>

>Learn More
>

>The best way to learn more about the program is to attend Read Right's
>national conference, coming up March 24-26, 2006, at the Sheraton Grand
>Hotel in Irving, Texas (near the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport). The
conference
>provides an opportunity for those seeking information on Read Right
>methodology to speak with individuals who are trained in the
methodology and
>already tutoring students at the elementary, middle school, high
school, and
>adult levels. More than 40 concurrent sessions will be provided. A
complete
>program for the conference is available at
>www.readright.com/news/conference2006.html.
>

>A college information packet explaining theory, methodology and
>implementation can be obtained by contacting Maureen Mortlock at Read
Right

www.readright.com
><http://www.readright.com/> .
>

>Dr. Tadlock's interactive constructivist view of reading and reading
>development is explained in detail in the new book written for parents,
Read
>Right! Coaching Your Child to Excellence in Reading, published in 2005
by
>McGraw-Hill and available at www.amazon.com
><http://postsnet.com/r.html?c=656651&r=655991&t=538077603&l=1&d=8686436
8&u=h
>ttp%3a%2f%2fwww%2eamazon%2ecom%2f&g=0&f=-1> .
>

>Finally, for those that enjoy reading about theory and research, Dr.
>Tadlock's academic paper, Interactive Constructivism and Reading: The
Nature
>of Neural Networks Challenges the Phonological Processing Hypothesis
may be
>downloaded from the Read Right web site (www.readright.com
><http://www.readright.com/> ) or ordered by phoning the Read Right
Office:

>360-427-9440.
>

>Please pass this e-mail along to any of your staff seeking information
on
>effective approaches to reading development.
>

>Thank you.
>

><http://postsnet.com/app/campaigner/trk/opn.jsp?cid=656651&rid=655991&c
td=53
>8077603&lid=86864369&g=0&f=-1>  From: Read Right Systems

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center