dear all, and this is what we call ourselves in our neck of the woods, down under in Australia: Australia Association for Academic Language and Learning (AALL) Incorporated Mission and goals Mission: AALL is committed to promoting and providing academic language and learning development through policies, practices and research that build, enhance and extend teaching and learning opportunities for all students and staff in tertiary education settings. The goals of AALL are to: • facilitate communication and collaboration among AALL members and to provide a forum for the discussion of policy, practice and research, especially through channels such as unilearn and the association’s state-based affiliates, • work towards institutional environments which provide the highest quality of learning experiences for all students and for all staff, • support the development of core, disciplinary academic and professional skills and attributes in all tertiary education students, • foster the recognition of the academic nature of the work of language and learning development through individual and collaborative research within and across tertiary institutions nationally and internationally, • promote quality, diversity, internationalisation and flexibility in language and learning development, • use publications and conferences to inform the wider academic community about the philosophies and practices of language and learning development in tertiary education, and • act as a lobbying body on issues relevant to AALL members. 00. Australian Universities Academic Language & Learning centres/units & websites (March 2006) (in alphabetic order by university) 01. Australian Catholic University Academic Skills Unit http://www.acu.edu.au/student_life/student_services/Academic_Skills_Assistance.cfm 02. Australian National University Academic Skills & Learning Centre http://www.anu.edu.au/academicskills/ 03. Central Queensland University Communications Learning Centre http://www.dtls.cqu.edu.au/clc/home.html 04. Charles Darwin University Support & Equity Services 0000,0000,FFFFwww.cdu.edu.au 05. Charles Sturt University Learning Skills www.csu.edu.au/division/studserv/learning 06. Curtin University of Technology Student Learning Support Centre http://www.learningsupport.curtin.edu.au 07. Deakin University Academic Skills http://www.deakin.edu.au/studentlife/academic_skills/ 08. Edith Cowan University Academic Skills www.ecu.edu.au/student/student-learning/index.php 09. Flinders University Student Learning Centre http://www.flinders.edu.au/cas/LLU.html 10. Griffith University Learning Services www.griffith.edu.au/ins/learningservices 11. James Cook University Learning Centre http://www.jcu.edu.au/studyskills 12. La Trobe University Language & Academic Skills (ESL) Unit http://www.latrobe.edu.au/lasu/ 13. Macquarie University English for Academic Purposes http://www.nceltr.mq.edu.au/eap/index.html 14. Monash University Language & Learning Services Unit http://www.celts.monash.edu.au/html/language_and_academic_skills_s.html 15. Murdoch University Teaching & Learning Centre http://www.tlc.murdoch.edu.au/slearn/ 16. Queensland University of Technology Teaching & Learning Support Services www.talss.qut.edu/services/sal 17. RMIT Learning Skills Unit 0000,0000,FFFFhttp://aps.eu.rmit.edu.au/lsu/ 18. Southern Cross University Learning Assistance Centre http://www.scu.edu.au/services/la/ 19. Swinburne University English Language Centre http://www.swin.edu.au/access 20. University of Adelaide Language & Learning Service http://www.adelaide.edu.au/ltdu/students/ 21. University of Ballarat International Student Learning Support http://www.ballarat.edu.au/aasp/student/learning_support/ 22. University of Canberra Academic Skills Program http://www.canberra.edu.au/studyskills/ 23. University of Melbourne Language & Learning Skills Unit http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/llsu/ 24. University of New England Academic Skills Office www.une.edu.au/tlc/aso 25. University of New South Wales The Learning Centre http://www.lc.unsw.edu.au/ 26. University of Newcastle Learning Support Program http://www.Newcastle.edu.au/centre/elfsc/lsp/index.html 27. University of Queensland Learning Assistance http://www.sss.uq.edu.au/ 28. University of South Australia Learning Connection http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/learningconnection/students.htm 29. University of Southern Queensland Academic Learning Support http://www.usq.edu.au/opacs/ltsu 30. University of Sydney Learning Centre 0000,0000,FFFFhttp://www.usyd.edu.au/lc 31. University of Tasmania Flexible Education Unit http://www.utas.edu.au/tl 32. University of Technology, Sydney ELSSA Centre www.elssa.uts.edu.au 33. University of the Sunshine Coast Academic Skills www.usc.edu.au 34. University of Western Australia Learning, Language & Research Skills Unit www.studentservices.uwa.edu.au/learning 35. University of Western Sydney Learning Skills Unit http://www.uws.edu.au/students/lsu/ 36. University of Wollongong Learning Development http://www.uow.edu.au/student/services/learning.html 37. Victoria University Student Learning Unit http://ceds.vu.edu.au/studentlearning/ list compiled by: [log in to unmask] On 23/03/2006, at 12:33 PM, Frank Christ wrote: For anyone looking for information on learning support centers in higher education, please go to LSCHE (see URL in my signature). For links to over 325 learning center web sites and for names of centers, go to About Learning Support Centers. You also will find Definitions of Key Academic Support Terms, Names of Learning Support Centers arranged alphabetically, Center Mission Statements, Floor Plans, and some surveys of centers. LSCHE is your database. There is nothing like it on the web. Collegially......... [log in to unmask] For all of us to win in the knowledge economy, Frank L Christ we need to unleash the knowledge in our Emeritus, CSULB document databases, use and reuse our past Visiting Scholar, U of AZ knowledge, find ways to create new knowledge and then share it across our enterprise........ ...Rick Thoman, Former Xerox Corp President & CEO LSCHE Web Portal: http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/~lsche/ ----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan Henderson" <<[log in to unmask]> To: <<[log in to unmask]> Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:01 PM Subject: name of your center? organization? funding? As my department undergoes reorganization, it would be helpful if you could share with me: 1) The name of your center. (Learning center? Academic support center? Etc.) 2) Where you housed organizationally. (Student affairs, academic department? Etc.) 3) If you have identified any external funding sources to finance tutoring services. THANK YOU!!!! Sue Henderson Assistant Director, University College at the Polytechnic Campus 7001 East Williams Field Road Academic Center Building room 80, Mail Code 0180 Mesa, AZ 85212 (480)727-1457 * fax (480)727-1714 http://uc.asu.edu * http://east.asu.edu/learningcenter -----Original Message----- From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wickham, Susan M. Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 10:00 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: College Reading Course Syllabi Hello, Lois-- The Study Mate software was just purchased by our college. It allows us to input information in three formats: one-part (simple concept cards), two-part (suitable for flash cards), and multiple choice. We need to enter the information only once. It is then automatically transformed into as many of the review formats as we choose. Pretty nifty! A similar online service is available through Quia, costing about $45 per year for an individual subscription. See http://www.quia.com/ for information on that program. Sue -----Original Message----- From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lois Martin Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 9:45 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: College Reading Course Syllabi Thank you, Sue!!! You have some excellent resources associated with this and with your study skills course. I am very interested in the Study Mate software. Lois Martin, M.S. Director, Academic Support Center Goshen College 1700 South Main Street Goshen, IN 46526 574-535-7576 [log in to unmask] At 04:19 PM 3/2/2006 -0600, you wrote: The syllabus from my Speed Reading course can be accessed at http://www.dmacc.edu/instructors/smwickham/spdrding.htm This course focuses on vocabulary, comprehension, and flexibility in rate. Sue Wickham Academic Achievement Center Des Moines Area Community College 2006 S. Ankeny Blvd. Ankeny, IA 50021 Office: 515-965-7000 FAX: 515-965-7080 -----Original Message----- From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ramage, Travis Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:32 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: College Reading Course Syllabi Dear all, I forwarded the article, "What the ACT Reveals About College Readiness in Reading/blurb/pdf link to 63 page report", that was posted to the LISTSERV yesterday, to our faculty and staff with the following comments: "I thought this data was interesting and worth sharing. The article provides strategies for what high schools can do to improve readiness for reading. Unfortunately, I didn't see any suggestions in the article on what we can do for students who are not ready to read college texts." My e-mail resulted in a meeting today with our Campus Dean, Associate Campus Dean, Assistant Dean for Student Services, Developmental Writing/Reading Instructor and myself to offer a course from our catalog called LEA 101: Speed Reading and Efficiency in Reading. The course description reads, "The aim of this course is to help the student develop the vocabulary and comprehension skills needed for studying college material. The student learns to analyze challenging materials for immediate understanding and interpret it for long-term memory." Since we have never offered the course before on our campus (we are one of 13 UW Colleges Freshman/Sophomore campuses in Wisconsin), I am soliciting your help to provide examples for textbooks and syllabi that you have used on your respective campuses for courses that match our course description. I posed a similar question back in May asking in general about reading courses you offer and found that several campuses teach a similar course. However, now that we are going to teach a course, I am look for specifics rather than having to start from ground zero in the course development process. Our plan is to offer two sections of LEA 101 as a one-credit, non-degree course this fall. The course will be offered the first five weeks of the semester, twice a week for 75 min (i.e., T Th from 2:00 pm - 3:15 pm). The target population will be our conditional admit students who scored less than a 17 on their ACT and/or students who place into our ENG 098: Basic Composition course based on the University of WI English Placement Test scores. I would appreciate any guidance you could provide. Thanks in advance for your help! Travis Ramage Coordinator of Adult Student Services/ Academic Assistance Advisor UW-Barron County 1800 College Drive Rice Lake, WI 54868 Phone: (715) 234-8176 #5438 Fax: (715) 234-8024 E-mail: [log in to unmask] < Website: www.barron.uwc.edu < ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to change your subscription options (including subscribe/unsubscribe), point your web browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to change your subscription options (including subscribe/unsubscribe), point your web browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to change your subscription options (including subscribe/unsubscribe), point your web browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to change your subscription options (including subscribe/unsubscribe), point your web browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to change your subscription options (including subscribe/unsubscribe), point your web browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to change your subscription options (including subscribe/unsubscribe), point your web browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask] Helvetica1313,6B6B,1313••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• 8989,0C0C,8383Alex BARTHEL Director, ELSSA Centre Public Officer, Association for Academic Language & Learning (AALL) University of Technology, Sydney PO box 123, BROADWAY, 2007 NSW - Australia phone: +61 2 9514 2325 fax: +61 2 9514 2321 mobile: 0408 269 799 homepage: 9C9C,1D1D,0F0Fwww.elssa.uts.edu.au8989,0C0C,8383 CRICOS No. 0009F2929,3131,C9C9 1313,6B6B,1515•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••