Ray Sanchez wrote

Do you agree that some students should pursue avenues other than

college? Of course retaining students is more cost effective than

recruiting new students, and we are all employed to promote student

success...

>Yes indeed.  The community college, though enrollment is open, is still
not appropriate for everyone.

But, shouldn't we accept and anticipate that some students are not

suited for academic work and need apprenticeship training, trade

extension classes, or???

>  Part of the problem here is that some of the more marginal students
couldn't survive a tech program such as auto, HVAC, chemical processing,
because they can't read, write, and do enough math, let alone the
critical thinking and problem-solving that one of the trades requires.
I see a number of students whose professed goal is child care whom you
would never, but never, hire to care for children; and they're not going
to be successful in that degree program either.

Wouldn't we improve our institution (through improved graduation rates,

etc.) and prevent lost revenue (lowering drop-out rates) if we became

the vocal advocates for vocational or career and technical education

prior to college enrollment?

> Yes indeed again.  But many high schools are caught in the trap of
"success is sending the whole senior class to college".  There are
efforts in career education, but the guidance and facilities aren't
always there.  Where do you send someone in a rural area to learn to
operate heavy equipment like a dragline, for instance?

Is this a can of worms?

>> It's a bushel, a barrel, a truckload of worms.  Our institutions are
not structured to respond fast enough or flexibly enough to meet the
changing needs of students, employers, and the marketplace.

Elizabeth Dewey

Delta College