Thanks for all the replies on this. I think between JUNG (which I'd
mistakenly assumed from a look years ago was purely a visualisation
library), and R, of which I was unaware, I have want I want. Again, thanks!

One last related question before I disappear off to the JUNG and R lists
for a while -- does anyone have an implementation (any language, but
would be nice if it was compatible with either of the above, or Perl),
of the keyplayer algorithms (esp KPP-2 and variants) described in Steve
Borgatti's paper at
(http://www.analytictech.com/borgatti/papers/borgatti%20-%20NAS%20-%20The%20Key%20Player%20Problem%203.doc)
and as implemented in his keyplayer software?

While the algorithm is described amply in the paper, my programming
skills and understanding of it don't intersect at a point where I can do
it (easily) from scratch without something a bit higher level or
concrete to start from!

Again many thanks -- this is one of the highest-value mailing lists I've
ever lurked on!

- Darrell