Hey Everybirdy,

  Sorry for the late post but thought I'd share it nonetheless.   Yesterday
around 5 p.m. there was an adult Peregrine Falcon perusing over E.  Gator Creek
impoundment from north to south.  It disappeared over Pumphouse  Road.
  I was observing a large flock of shorebirds just off of SR 406  consisting
mostly of Least Sandpipers with smaller numbers of Black-bellied  Plovers,
Western Sandpipers and an unusually small number of Dunlin.
  It was fun to note the differences in their behavior.  When the  flock was
disturbed by a long line of speeding cars and/or motorcycles and they
flushed, they would be somewhat spread out and they swayed in unison above the  mud
something like a tablecloth being strewn across the table.  When the  Peregrine
approached they assumed an entirely different formation in the shape  of a
tight ball.
  While we've probably all seen these reactions at one time or  another, it
was fun to observe the differences in behavior in such a short span  time so as
to better compare the reactions.
  My wife had taught me to notice the ball mentality up in NYC as on
occasion we'd see a Red-tailed, Cooper's or Sharp-shinned gunning for pigeons,
doves, sparrows and what have you.  So when you see them little guys flying  in a
tight ball formation, be sure to look around, because somebody's  coming!!

  Also of note on the same impoundment were approx. 150 American  White
Pelicans.
  See you out there!

Thomas J. Dunkerton

Titusville, FL