For those who want to know about qualitative approaches to social
networks, I suggest you start with two classic foundational books:

Bott, Elizabeth. 1957. Family and Social Network. London: Tavistock.

Mitchell, J Clyde (Ed.). 1969. Social Networks in Urban Situations.
Manchester: Manchester University Press.

 Barry

  You're invited to visit -- and contribute to -- my new fun website
 "Updating Cybertimes: It's Time to Bring Our Culture into Cyberspace"
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php