Bastian:

In the empirical study of 40 networks from 3 studies (Valente 1995), I
hypothesized a positive relationship between network level density and
adoption/diffusion.  I found support for that hypothesis.  In more
recent work (Valente et al in press)  I found that change in density was
negatively associated with change in adoption for 20 community
coalitions, thus suggesting the importance of radiality or weak ties.
 At the individual level, we expect and usually find, personal network
density to be negatively associated with adoption since dense personal
network restrict access to information in other parts of the networks
(Valente 1995; Valente & Foreman, 1998).  Burt's arguments and data are
persuasive on this point.

I have also found centralized networks to be associated with more rapid
diffusion, but to some extent also less high prevalence (Valente 1995).
 At the individual level, centrality is associated with earlier adoption
and this has bee replicated in many settings (Valente 1995; Valente et
al., 2005; Alexander et al., 2001 for examples).