Dear Nick, all:

If you're using UCINET you have a short verbal description of the
measure under "help" where the underlying theoretical work is
referenced. You can retrieve some of it using the JSTOR database. Much
was published in "Social Networks".

My introduction to SNA was also Bob Hanneman's online tutorial:

http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~hanneman/

This brings me to a follow-up question:

I want to use UCINET's Bonacich power measure (Network > Centrality >
Power). The measure can deliver negative centrality values that I'm not
sure how to interpret.

I've correlated c(alpha,0.1) results with regular degree centrality, and
that tells me that I have to use the absolute values of the results when
dealing with positive beta values.

But do I also have to take the abs val when dealing with negatively
connected networks (negative beta)?

My name is Haiko Lietz. I'm a graduate student at Mittweida University
of Applied Sciences, Germany. As a freelance reporter I have also
started applying SNA or Journalistic Network Analysis, as you might call it.

Best wishes

Haiko Lietz