Dear Yang and all,

I have attached a couple of citations and also uploaded an Endnote 9 file to
our website for those of you who would like to use it:
http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/netgov/html/sna_literature.htm (scroll down
to Social
Network Analysis - Bibliographies on the Web).

In general, I think it is an interesting idea to understand how to
extract network
data from interview data, when it comes to sampling, tracking and sequencing
interactions. Does anybody else on the list have more insights in this
process and how we can make sure, that interview data is collected as
rigorously as quantitative network data?
Best,
Ines

=================

Barley, S. R. (1990). "The Alignment of Technology and Structure Through Roles
and Networks." Administrative Science Quarterly 35(1): 61-103.

Baxter, J./J. Eyles (1997). "Evaluating qualitative research in social
geography:
establishing 'rigour' in interview analysis." Transactions of the Institute
of British Geographers 22(4): 505-525.

Gersick, C. J. G./J. M. Bartunek, et al. (2000). "Learning from Academia: The
Importance of Relationships in Professional Life." Academy of Management
Journal 43(6): 1026-1044.

Huberman, M. (1990). "Teaching, Learning, and Human Development:
Linkage between
Researchers and Practitioners: A Qualitative Study." American Educational
Research Journal 27(2): 363-391.

Kraut, R. E./R. E. Rice, et al. (1998). "Varieties of Social
Influence: The Role
of Utility and Norms in the Success of a New Communication Medium."
Organization
Science 9(4): 437-453.

Martýnez, A./Y. Dimitriadis, et al. (in Press). "Combining Qualitative
Evaluation
and Social Network Analysis for the Study of Classroom Social Interactions."
Computers & Education.

McPherson, J. M./P. A. Popielarz, et al. (1992). "Social Networks and
Organizational
Dynamics." American Sociological Review 57(2): 153-170.

Orlikowski, W. J./J. J. Baroudi (1991). "Studying Information
Technology in Organizations:
Research Approaches and Assumptions." Information Systems Research 1991(2):
1-28.

Palonen, T./K. Hakkarainen (2000). Patterns of Interaction in
Computer-Supported
Learning: A Social Network Analysis. Fourth International Conference of the
Learning Sciences. B. F. S. O'Connor-Divelbiss. Mahwah, NJ, Erlbaum. Fourth
International Conference of the Learning Sciences.

Uzzi, B. (1996). "The Sources and Consequences of Embeddedness for the Economic
Performance of Organizations: The Network Effect." American Sociological
Review 61(4): 674-698.

Uzzi, B. (1997). "Social Structure and Competition in Interfirm Networks: The
Paradox of Embeddedness." Administrative Science Quarterly 42(1): 35-67.
Young, F. W. (1981). "Quantitative analysis of qualitative data."
Psychometrika
46(4): 357-388.