I suspect the reaction Patrick described is not too uncommon.

Network diagrams are descriptions (albeit selective ones), and they only
make sense in the light of expectations, assumptions, or theories, of what
should be there. Is that not the case? If I said a table was 30 inches high,
what sense would that make unless you knew what I was thinking of doing with
the chair, or you knew something about who else might be planning to use the
chair and where so. The same must apply for stats analysis of networks. How
can they have any meaning except in the light of some prior theory, informal
or tacit as it may be. So, one useful step would presumably be to make the
background theory, and its implications, more explicit.

regards, rick davies

On 4/14/06, patrick rose <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I have been examining a network (over time) of high school kids on their
> drug behaviors.
>

> One of the reviewers has serious doubts on the usefulness of sociograms
> included in my paper. S/he argues that the sociograms included did not add
> any information other than the central position of a few kids and the
> connectivity of the remaining kids to those central kids and that all the
> information should be revealed by other statistics (such as those from
> cross-tabs and univariate/bivariate analysis).
>

> I included several attributes of kids (their sex, grade, etc.) and the
> strengths of connections in the sociograms but having difficulty responding
> to his/her criticisms.
>

> My questions:
>
> 1) How can I respond to his/her criticisms?
>
> 2) Whar are some general purposes of sociograms and any references that I
> can take a look at and/or cite.
>

> Any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated.
>

> Thanks a million in advance,
>
> Pat

Rick Davies (Dr)
Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant