Hey Everybirdy,

  While doing surveys today at the refuge, it seems things are picking  up
where they had been "dull" in recent weeks.  For one thing, Semipalmated
Plovers outnumbered just about every other shorebird but Least 'pipers and  Dunlin.
  Behind Pumphouse is still dried up except for the left side of the  dike
due to the wind blowing in some water from the lagoon.  Given the  drier
conditions on the right hand side, I didn't expect much but had a couple  of goodies.
 3 Semipalmated Sandpipers were one and 2 Gull-billed  Terns gracefully
swooping along the dike road snagging dragonflies like they  were going out of
style!!
Happened upon an immature Black-crowned Night Heron as I was exiting the
impoundment area as well.
  East Gator Creek impoundment was chock full of Semipalm Plovers and  Least
Sandpipers along with good numbers of Black-belleid Plovers and  Dunlin.  Also
present were some 60+ Black Skimmers and a few Caspian Terns  and a Peregrine
Falcon flew quickly by towards the east exit.
  As I was finishing up, I scanned out towards the West Gator Creek
impoundment and spotted a lone Whimbrel.  As I was setting up to digiscope  it, as it
was 100 yds or so out there, it took off towards me and flew overhead  and
into E. Gator Creek impoundment.  Worked out good for me, as now I  could count
it on my survey!!
  Biolab was so-so.  The wind was pushing all the water up high  along much
of the banks of Mosquito Lagoon.  Towards the south end it  picked up a little
with 20+ of Sanderlings, Least Sandpipers and many more  Semipalmated Plovers,
who were willing to ride the floating wrack.  Another  3 Gull-billed Terns
were working the shoreline, successfully dining on  dragonflies.
  Another volunteer had earlier in the week reported Gray  Kingbirds on
Biolab of which 1, I encountered.  Was climbing back up  the bank to my vehicle to
roll down for a shot at it, but in that time a  Mockingbird saw fit to reclaim
it's turf! :-(  Was unable to relocate the  Kingbird.
  That's it in an eggshell!

See you out there!

Thomas J.  Dunkerton
Titusville, FL