Tim,

You raised an interesting point regarding parents "interest" in the
academic progress of their student. I often get calls from parents wanting
to discuss this information. I inquired with our legal department and was
told that we can not discuss this information unless the student  has given
explicit authorization via his/her FERPA form. However, the FERPA form is
something that students sign during their New Student Orientation when they
are bombarded with forms and information and the wording of the form is
"odd" in that it places the negative statement as the first choice for
signature (students tend to sign the first available space without
necessarily reading all of the options). Therefore we are often not
"permitted" to discuss a student's academic support progress or issues with
their parents.

I am curious how others handle this situation.

Roberta Schotka
NADE'08 conference co-chair
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax