Roberta,

It's my opinion that the time a tutor spends with a tutee would depend
more on the tutee's need for academic assistance rather than the
tutoring acumen of the tutor. I can even see where a Level III tutor,
armed with knowledge about learning styles, study skills, outside
referrals, positive reinforcement, etc., would spend more time with a
tutee than a novice tutor. To specifically answer your question: no, we
don't differentiate tutoring appointment times based on tutor
certification level.

I assign other tasks to tutors once they reach CRLA Level III such as:
mentoring and/or supervising new tutors, a freer rein to meet with
faculty to discuss tutoring strategies, more group tutoring, statistical
and analytical functions of the unit, more administrative tasks, etc.

Tim
Tim Vick
Director, Academic Resource Centers
Macon State College