Ron,
	Of course it's not a new problem--but I wouldn't call writing
the answers on one's hand a way to assist with learning!  I'm trusting
you were being facetious.
	I may be sounding a little like the glass is half empty this
week; but with nursing students, SO much of what they are required to
know and retain for years and years and add to, is memorized
information. Every year we have students who aren't successful the final
semester of their senior year. Baccalaureate nursing students have
learned to do assessments, injections, bed baths and tracheotomy care,
then analyze and critically think, communicate therapeutically, do
serious research and present their findings, write reports, lead health
care teams, and apply all the higher-level learning activities; but if
they can't recall all those pesky numbers and formulas and terminology
they had to memorize as freshmen and sophomores, and retrieve them as
the basis for all that higher level thinking on the senior tests, they
still don't pass or graduate. This is the week that happens--and it has,
as it always does; so I'm sure I'm reflecting some of that frustration.
	A month after they graduate, we, the public, put our lives in
these people's hands, so fudging a little here or there on how one
acquires the correct answers for tests--whether writing on one's hand or
the inside of the label of one's water bottle, is not tolerated here--AT
ALL, for both ethical and practical reasons. Do you know another way to
assess whether or not they know the normal ranges for body temperatures,
blood pressures, sed rates, respiration rates, blood gasses, heart
rates, fluids and electrolytes-- and all that other plain old boring
information stuff, without assessments that ask those things?  My
faculty is all about creative assessment, but we don't have an anwer to
that one.
Linda