We are in a new building with the Library, Black Box Theatre, and
Performing Arts Pavilion.  The Academic Center (ALC) moved from 1200
square feet to 7600 square feet on the first floor of the building.  We
are centrally located on campus and we collaborate by giving joint
workshops introducing students and faculty to our services.  We call the
Library and the ALC the Learning Resource Center.

I would hesitate to break down too many walls between the library
functions and the learning center functions.  Tutoring can be noisy.  I
do not think librarians will want to design individual lessons for
students for computer-based instruction or sit down at the computer to
teach a subject matter.

The Library will and does provide space for us when and if the ALC must
be closed, and we have tutors available for tutoring.

Also, students who come to the learning assistance center need and want
privacy.  They do not like everyone knowing that they use the tutoring
services although we know that the smart students use the services. Many
students wear the invisible blemish that there is something wrong with
them that they did not get it in the classroom and need to go for
additional help.

We have a close working relationship as we form one division--Learning
Resources.

Elizabeth