Hi,

I'm looking for cohesive sub-groups in a valued graph (200x200, values up to
150-ish).

I'm keen to understand how these groups might overlap and how they are
nested, without losing the valuable link values. I'm not terribly keen on
dichotomizing the data on a restricted and arbitrary series of thresholds,
but I don't have the time to create and analyse 149 dichotomized networks.

Does anyone know of software that can perform Peay's (1974) upward/downward
procedure(s)? Alternatively, is there a better way...?

As a rider - does anyone have a preferred heuristic for choosing levels at
which to dichotomize valued data, for those procedures that require it? When
using de Nooy's m-slicing, I've tended to use the highest level that gives a
single large component as a reference point.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Round

Professional Scientist, System Concepts & Assessment
QinetiQ, Bldg Turing Rm 208
St. Andrews Road, Malvern
Worcs, WR14 3PS
Tel: +44 (0) 1684 894450
Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> ;
RLI email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Mobile: 07900 327307   Fax: 01684 897461

The information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and is intended solely for the intended
recipient(s).  The information in this communication may be confidential
and/or legally privileged.  Nothing in this e-mail is intended to
conclude a contract on behalf of QinetiQ or make QinetiQ subject to any
other legally binding commitments, unless the e-mail contains an express
statement to the contrary or incorporates a formal Purchase Order.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be monitored
and recorded for business purposes including security, audit and
archival purposes.  Any response to this email indicates consent to
this.

Telephone calls to QinetiQ may be monitored or recorded for quality
control, security and other business purposes.