On Mon, 8 May 2006, Erik Volz wrote:

> Tim, I would like to give another nod to MEJ Newman's paper. His measure is
> quickly becoming the standard-- in three years his paper has been cited more
> than 160 times. It's probably your best bet for what you want-- a  simple
> metric describing the level of non-random mixing by type. Most of the other
> papers concern statistical models of networks rather than descriptive
> metrics. I suspect they would take you rather far afield.

Hmm, not sure what you mean by this.  The statistical models provide
simple, interpretable summary measures for homophily, so can be used for
descriptive purposes.

But if one of the analytic goals is to identify whether the evidence
suggests a uniform tendency for within-group mixing, or a differential
tendency by group, or an indicator of where these summaries do not do
a good job representing the data, then you'll need the statistical
approach for sure.