Hello-

I am planning a new class (for me) with freshman.  The theme is networks,
and I want them to get their hands dirty with real data.  This will be
primarily descriptive analysis.

I searched the archives and got a few possibilities, but "teaching
networks' did not seem like a common subject.

Two questions:
1) Is there an "ideal" software package for ease of use?

2) Has anyone tired to have students use their own networks from facebook,
myspace or the like as the original data for class assignments?  ( I have
just now started to poke around with these, but my students have told me
they can "map" their own networks.  Maybe some of these sites allow for
data exporting?  Or, at the least, I can have students take a map and code
it themselves which may have some educational benefit)?

Much appreciated-

Jordi

Jordi Comas
Visiting Assistant Professor
Management
Bucknell University
570 577-3161

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/jcomas

Dissertation and Research Blog: www.netsweweave.blogspot.com

"There is nothing so practical as a good theory."  Kurt Lewin

"Not all learning leads to intelligent behavior."  James March