There was also a very interesting paper on the topic by Mark Handcock and
Adrian Raftery in the last session of the meetings.  It's going to be read
at the Royal Statistical Society......here's a link to the current
version, a Working Paper at UWash:

http://www.csss.washington.edu/Papers/wp46.pdf

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Mark Newman wrote:

> At the risk of tooting my own horn, let me draw your attention to the
> following paper, where this question is discussed:
>
>   Mixing patterns in networks, M. E. J. Newman, Phys. Rev. E 67, 026126
>   (2003).
>
> You can also find a copy here:
>
>   http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0209450/
>
> There have certainly also been other earlier discussions of the issue,
> particularly in the epidemiology literature, some of which are cited in the
> above.
>
> Mark
>

> On Tuesday 02 May 2006 05:02, Dr. Timothy R. Huerta wrote:
> >
> > Hello all!
> >
> > Great Sunbelt. Nice seeing a bunch of you.
> >
> > I was wondering if there was a metric that one could use to express the
> > degree to which relationships among categories of nodes are equally
> > distributed. For example, I have a network of 12 people, 4 short, 4 medium
> > and 4 tall. I want to know if participants in the network discriminate in
> > the creation of ties by category.
> >
> > I have an idea in mind, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel here.
> >
> > Tim Huerta

Lynn Smith-Lovin
Robert L. Wilson Professor of Arts and Sciences
Department of Sociology
Duke University
348A SOC/PSYCH Bldg
Box 90088