Aloha Stephen,

Two people you might want to look into for methods on longitudinal
networks and density are Tom Snijders at the University of Groningen and
George Barnett at SUNY Buffalo.

Tom's work can be found at http://stat.gamma.rug.nl/snijders/index.html
and http://stat.gamma.rug.nl/snijders/publ.htm

George's work can be found at