I've looked at multi-media effects across different kinds of activities for a CS
department, and for distance learners. Try this paper first and if you'd like
further info, let me know.  /Caroline

Haythornthwaite, C. (2001). Exploring multiplexity: Social network structures in
a computer-supported distance learning class. The Information Society, 17(3),
211-226.