At the risk of tooting my own horn, let me draw your attention to the
following paper, where this question is discussed:

  Mixing patterns in networks, M. E. J. Newman, Phys. Rev. E 67, 026126
  (2003).

You can also find a copy here:

  http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0209450/

There have certainly also been other earlier discussions of the issue,
particularly in the epidemiology literature, some of which are cited in the
above.

Mark