From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Barry Wellman
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] SNA as a threat to democracy -- add 1

It may call itself "liberal" but it is not very knowledgeable --

Some of the early and really good network studies were about
interlocking
directorships in American and world capitalism. See Mintz & Schwartz;
Mizruchi; Joel Levine, for example.

OTOH, as a newspaper reporter once told me, columnists aren't supposed
get their facts straight; just have opinions.

I saw this for myself when almost none of the blogs commenting on our
Pew
Internet study apparently bothered to read the study itself, and just
relied on press releases.

But that's another story.
 Barry

  You're invited to visit -- and contribute to -- my new fun website
 "Updating Cybertimes: It's Time to Bring Our Culture into Cyberspace"
             http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php