On May 17, 2006, at 7:14 PM, Phil Murphy wrote:
>   Can anyone recommend an accessible (and affordable) program that
> can handle two-mode blockmodeling?
>   As an important aspect of my dissertation, I would like to
> blockmodel groups based on shared terminology.  I have a 108 by 93+
> matrix of respondents and terms used (or will as soon as the data
> coding is complete).
>   Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>   Best regards,
>   Phil Murphy

Another blockmodel option is to use programs for formal concept
lattice analysis (a.k.a. "Galois lattice" analysis), such as Galicia
or Toscana (all open-source & cross-platform):

Toscana: http://toscanaj.sourceforge.net/
Galicia: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~galicia/

For more details on using such lattices to deal precisely with this
kind of data -- agent groups based on shared terminology -- you could
have a look at "Lattice-based dynamic and overlapping taxonomies: the
case of epistemic communities", CR, P. Bourgine, Scientometrics, 69
(2), to appear 2006. http://camille.roth.free.fr/travaux/dynamicgl.pdf

best,

Camille Roth

--
department of social and cognitive science, università di modena, italy
créa (centre de recherche en épistémologie appliquée), cnrs/école