Le 22 mai 06, à 08:11, Nicole Suveges a écrit :

> I used to LOVE this list, and the political slant has COMPLETELY
> alienated
> me.
>
> UNSUBSCRIBE, pls.

Nicole, maybe you should just blacklist the "Threat to Democracy"
thread.
It would be quite a symbol, though :o)

Steve, i agree with your newspeak point and won't argue (much) more.

Just a word speaking about references:
Boissevain, in a quite extreme and activistic way, blamed classical
anthropologists
for bringing theoretical justifications to dictatorships (see appendix).
This is one of the main intimidating arguments he used to support his
thesis.
His thesis, as you probably know better than i do, is that one should
study how
individuals are linked to each other rather than which social classes
they belong to.

In other words, structural-functionalism (or whatever it was) was a
threat to democracy,
SNA (or something tasting much similar) the way out this trap.

I personally think his judgement was far too extreme,
witch-hunting-like, and sounding
much more like the guy who can't manage to get on with his colleagues
and decides some
day it is all their fault.
But i do believe that thinking about the (good and bad) ways our
(neutral) tools and theories
can be used is healthy, and can sometimes lead to new tools and
theories.
Anyway it's worth the 5-days over-traffic on a list which will have
forgotten it a couple of
weeks later.

APPENDIX

``
an interesting political application of the consensus model is that of
the corporate state
introduced by Mussolini, Franco and Salazar.  In Italy, Spain and
Portugal, the regimes
were or still are based on a concept of social order that assumes that
`capital and labour,
or owners of the means of production and workers, do not have
conflicting interests to be
expressed in syndical or political strife, but complementary interests
to be dealt with
harmoniously' [here a footnote to another ref].  Those who support
consensus theory are
not all conservative, but it is interesting that the corporate state
was adopted at the same
time as functional social theory.
''
J. Boissevain, Friends of Friends, 1974
p. 10 (Introduction)

--
   Christophe Prieur,
   LIAFA, University Paris 7 Denis Diderot  (+33/0)1.44.27.28.42

--	Christophe.