When we count statistics we include the following:

numbers of students (unduplicated) who request our services
numbers of students (unduplicated) who receive our services
numbers of student/service uses( counting each service an individual
student accesses)
contact hours of student/service uses (counting the number of hours an
individual student accesses any number of our services)

I agree with those who mentioned how confusing all of this can be. I
develop some simple excel-based charts for each semester's numbers as well
as annual cumulative data. We archive our stats at the end of each semester
and start all over again.

The way I see it, from an observers vantage point ( i.e., dean, provost or
president), it doesn't make much difference if one student came in three
times or three students came in one time each. What I want them to gain
from looking at my excel charts and comments, is a sense of how busy the
center is and how our users perceive the services.

Roberta Schotka
NADE'08 conference co-chair
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax