David,

Hi. Let me see if I  can answer some of your inquiries. We incorporate
sections of NC State and other videos into many of our tutor training
workshops. Typically, I will introduce the concept through questions,
prompts, having the group take turns reading information out loud and
viewing and discussing the video vignettes. At this point in time we do not
produce our own videos, although it is something we have thought about.

I also have several segments of the NC state videos as part of the required
materials on several Blackboard-based training modules ( which comprise 40%
or less of the total training elements). In this case, tutors have to
complete online quizzes, with several questions culled specifically and
solely from the videotapes. Currently the tapes ( actually dvd's) are not
streamed, so the student has to come in to the peer tutoring center or the
library media center to view those segments.

The students are supposed to engage in a weekly online discussion board,
wherein I cull points directly from the dvd's and online links to other
print materials. Admittedly, this is not as effective as the face to face,
cohort group discussions that we have as a major part of all the "live"
training.

The NC state programs seems to be a bit more current, in that the clothing
and hair styles are pretty-much standard college garb in Boston. I know
that the GPN series is very good, but I too am concerned with the "outdated
look" as it is distracting. We do use a video from the late 1980's in our
unit on multiculturalism, and the look is a bit dated, but in spite of
that, my tutors can relate well to the content and it provides an
interesting take on cross -cultural communication and stereotyping.

Roberta Schotka
NADE'08 conference co-chair
Head, Peer Tutoring
Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
(617) 373-2150 voice
(617) 373-2529 fax

                      David Hayes
                      <davidhayes@MAIL         To:      [log in to unmask]
                      .URI.EDU>                cc:
                      Sent by: Open            Subject: Re: tutor training videos
                      Forum for
                      Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals
                      <LRNASST-L@LISTS
                      .UFL.EDU>

                      06/15/2006 01:33
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to Open Forum
                      for Learning
                      Assistance
                      Professionals

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to know from those who use them how video is used in tutor
training.  I suspect that different programs use video quite differently,
and that training outcomes vary as a result.

For example - in your program, are videos watched by groups and analyzed
critically (or, more broadly, how do you incorporate active learning
principles into the fairly passive process of watching television)?  Does
anyone produce in-house videos for training or use video as part of a tutor
observation process?  How many use video to conduct training remotely? What
percentage of your training program is video-based?  How do tutors respond
to the videos as training tools (in my program, for example, a group of
experienced tutors were enlisted to evaluate a video training series which
we were considering. They reported back that among other concerns they
found the early 80's style of hair and clothing to be highly distracting
and argued that some students would have difficulty taking the video
seriously).

Thanks,

David

David Hayes