May I suggest, Frank, that the reason you do not find many
definitions of "developmental student" is because the term, at least
from my understanding the developmental perspective,  is redundant.
An equivalent would be "professional  doctor". The concept of
development seems inherent in, or to use the linguistic term,
"entailed" by, the term "student", much as the idea of being a
professional is entailed by the term "doctor". Students are, by
definition, those who are developing their knowledge, skills and
identity, etc..

Thus, I would take issue with Maxwell's definition. Her definition is
probably an accurate operational or institutional definition
(essentially amounting to "any student who is in a developmental
program") in many contexts. But, I would say that it's not a useful
theoretical definition; that is, it doesn't advance our thinking
conceptually even though it might serve a purpose practically. I say
this on the grounds that the denotative and connotative meanings of
the term "development" don't have much, if anything, to do with
comparison to "typical",  which is the basis for her definition. And,
I don't see how such a use of the term follows from developmental
theory.

I'd be curious to hear what others think.
Nic

>Colleagues, the recent post by Mary Leahy (Re FYI-New Report), stimulated me
>to look at LSCHE for a definition of "developmental student."  Although
>LSCHE has compiled ten definitions for the term, "developmental education,"
>there is not a definition for "developmental student."  I don't  recollect
>ever having seen such a definition. Hw does one differentiate between
>developmental students and those not described as developmental? Are
>developmental students the underprepared students?
>
>I did not find a definition for a developmental student in the  Casazza and
>Silverman book, Learning Assistance and Developmental Education. The
>authors, however, did state that "One significant aspect of this shift in
>perspective [from remedial and compensatory to developmental]  is that all
>students are potentially developmental students: ..." Page 32.
>
>In Maxwell,  improving Student Learning Skills: A New Edition, Maxwell
>wrote"In an earlier edition of this book, I defined developmental students
>as those whose skills, knowledge, motivation, and/or academic ability are
>significantly below those of the 'typical' student in the college or
>curriculum in which they are enrolled."  Page 2.
>
>In the Cross book, Beyond the Open Door, I did not find a definition.
>Perhaps she had a definition in one or more of her other books.
>
>In the Boylan book, What Works: Research-Based Practices in Developmental
>Education, the terms, "developmental education" and "underprepared students"
>are defined.I did not find a definition for  "Developmental students."
>
>Nor did I find one in the Van doctoral dissertation, The Application of
>Essential Developmental Education Principles by Program Administrators,
>although the author had a section, "Definition of Terms, that included three
>definitions related to developmental education. Pp.9-10.
>
>Perhaps, someone has defined "developmental student" using criteria by which
>such students can be empirically recognized. I am not an expert in this area
>but I do believe that if we are discussing developmental education, we need
>to have developmental students defined and differentiated from
>non-developmental students. It may be that the criteria established by
>Piaget or Perry in naming developmental stages might be starting points.
>
>Perhaps Stahl, Caverly, Boylan, Roueche or others who publish on
>developmental education have defined in print their definitions of a
>developmental student. If so,  can anyone cite specific references (title,
>author, date, page) that define a developmental student? If so, I would add
>them to the LSCHE resources on definitions that currently has no definition
>of a developmental student.
>Collegially.......
>
>[log in to unmask]                   For all of us to win in the knowledge
>economy,
>Frank L Christ                      we need to unleash the knowledge in our
> [...]

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center