Sharon Gott wrote:

>I am interested in any insights for intervention on behalf of
>developmental students.  I currently track attendance and contact
>students after they have missed a certain number of classes, but this is
>on a rather informal basis.  I have undertaken a similar mission this
>summer to hopefully implement this fall, thanks for any info

>Sharon Gott
>EASTERN WV COMMUNITY & TECHNICAL COLLEGE
>Developmental Education Coordinator
>1929 State Road 55
>Moorefield, WV  26836
>(304) 434-8000, Ext. 238
>(304) 434-7000 FAX
>Toll Free (877) 982-2322

You may want to consider learning communities for your developmental
students. This environment allows student to connect within the
classroom and continue learning from their peers outside of the
classroom (social integration theory).
Through my experience, I have found that most developmental students
feel a disconnect to the institution. Continual advising, academic
success plans, support services, and student mentioning are all key
components..
Also, communicate to faculty their role in student success (retention).
It is the faculty who spend more time with the students. Students need
to feel connected to:
course content
faculty
institution