----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, June 26, 2006 8:43 am
Subject: Re: % of campus population using your services
To: [log in to unmask]
[[cut]]
> The way I see it, from an observers vantage point ( i.e., dean,
> provost or
> president), it doesn't make much difference if one student came
> in three
> times or three students came in one time each.
[[cut]]

These distinctions matter to me, though.  I think it's important to
know the patterns of usage by the students and strive for a balance.
If a learning center sees 100 students one time each, there may
be an implication that the students were not satisfied and did not
come back.  If a learning center sees 5 students 20 times each,
there may be an implication that the center is serving a very
narrow and overly needy population.  I don't know what the ideal
balance is, but I'd like to see variety.

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Resources
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
(920) 424-3419