Hello Jenny,

At Nassau Community College, we serve a very diverse population - and adults make up a large part of our student body.

Knowing that many students do not have basic math skills, a few years ago we looked to find a product that could identify a students specific weakness in math and also provide early intervention to help strengthen that basic skill.

About three years ago we began using the A+dvancer learning on-line college readiness program.  A+dvancer does just what you are looking for!

A+dvancer allows the student to take an  online self-assessment in math ,reading and  or English.  Once the assessment is complete, A+dvancer provides diagnostic results and prescribes individual lessons for each student.

The program is extremely easy to use, it is super student friendly and it is effective!

We ask students to work through the program  either in a designated lab, or the student can work on it at home which is a big bonus to most adult students. After the student has completed all the prescribed lessons - we ask them to take our placement test once again so that we can measure their success.

The success rate speaks for itself!  Approximately 70% of students who previously failed the algebra placement test - return to us after completing the A+dvancer program in algebra and pass it, and approximately 77% of the students who previously failed the arithmetic placement test - return after completing their prescribed arithmetic lessons and pass!

I find that the A+dvancer program is the perfect fit for the adult student in particular who has a very busy schedule.  Because the program is available online 24 hours a day - they can click on and work on it when they have the time.  Most of our adult students have jobs, families and try to juggle it all.  Being able to offer adults an online college readiness program has allowed many adult students the opportunity to follow through and stick with their school work.

You can see a demo if you go to www.advancerlearning.com

Good luck!

-Noreen

 We would like each of these students to take the
online assessment before the class (timeline to be determined), and then
based upon the results, the student would receive an email with tutoring
availability, online resources, referral to the Teaching and Learning
Center, etc.  The results could go to the student, the TLC, and the
teacher.  As this early point, we would like to know of other similar
online assessments and intervention tools.  Also, if you subscribed to a
service to put this together for you, can you make referrals?

Noreen E. Wade
Assistant Director Placement Testing
Nassau Community College
One Education Drive