Change the test.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Beverley
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 2:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Conferences for Teaching Reading to College Students & Adults

I am teaching the Board of Regents-REQUIRED "Reading Proficiency" PREP
Class for the Regent's Reading EXAM that ALL Georgia College/University
students MUST take and pass.........

I am becoming frustrated because students take the class, pass the practice
exams -- but just can NOT seem to make it over that final hurdle -- they
just
can NOT pass that test ... I have one student enrolled now who is
scheduled to
graduate the end of July -- she said she stopped counting the number of
times she had
taken the exam -- after taking it the 8th time.  I have TWO students who
have
completed ALL of their course work -- one actually walked ... CAN'T pass
the test.

I am open to any suggestions......  I've provided Test-taking Strategies/
Relaxation Tips/ Practice, practice, practice/ Reading and Re-writing
information, and any other ideas I can find......  HELP?!!!!!

Thanks,
Beverley
Dr. Beverley R. Blake
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA

Eagan, K MS CEP wrote:

>Good afternoon, everyone
>
>I teach a 10-lesson reading efficiency course to freshmen college
>students during the fall semester.  During the spring semester, the same
>course enrollment is open to campus employees, instructors, and spouses.
>Our course is commonly referred to as "speed reading," but it is really
>learning how to read efficiently. I would like to learn more about the
>pedagogy about how one learns to decode/read college level material. My
>department executive officer has asked if I want to attend a conference
>next year (I do!) but can't locate the information I want through
>google.  Can anyone suggest a conference that offers sessions on
>reading?  How about an organization relating to college/adult reading?
>His request for conference information was sent this afternoon, and I
>need to respond tomorrow.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks!
>Kathy Eagan
>Academic Excellence Program Instructor
>Center for Enhanced Performance
>United States Military Academy