I'd go one step beyond Miguel's good suggestion and eliminate the test as a gatekeeper, or at least advocate for alternative paths to prove proficiency, but that's just me....anyway, it occurred to me that I had a similar situation with a student a few years ago. She had tried (and tried and tried) to pass the CBEST, which is one of the many tests prospective teachers have to take in California.

I thought she might have an undiagnosed learning disability so I referred her to the state Vocational Rehabilitation office (a valuable tip that I picked up at a CRLA conference), and she was assessed, received appropriate accomodations on the test the next time she took it, and finally passed!

For those students who know the material but just can't seem to get over the testing hurdle, that might be one option for them.

--Bailey Smith
University of La Verne