Hello Sharon,

I usually follow the threads on this listserv and do not participate,
but your task seems very similar to mine.  This is my first year on the
job.  Our developmental program, the College Achievement Program (CAP)
consists of about 52 students out of a undergraduate enrollment of 670.
I've been given the challenge of increasing our retention of CAP students.

Much of my work is hands on.  I track attendance, send e-mails for
progress reports to professors periodically, and email, call and stop by
classes to check in with CAP students.  I strive for early intervention
in my approach.  When their grades are slipping or they have excessive
absences, I often conference with them and draft an "Academic Success
Plan", in which we hammer out five or six points to which they agree
(ie. attend the remainder of the class meetings, study one hour for
every hour spent in class, spend five hours a week in the support
center, etc).  Professors are e-mailed a copy of the plan, and there is
an extra measure of accountability because of it.  I meet with most of
the CAP students every other week.

Some veteran faculty feel my approach is enabling, babying or just plain
strange for college students.  However, I explain to the nay sayers that
this is a plan for those who are in transition to college expectations,
and they will increasingly become more independent as the year goes on.
While we don't have longevity with the new approach,  our 2004 retention
for CAP (returning for sophomore year) was 38%, for 2005 was 34%, and
our 2006 retention is projected at 62%.  Granted, this number will
likely decrease by September, but we're seeing considerable improvement.

--
Bill Boozang
Director of Academic Services