Eva makes a good observation vis--vis the difference models described as Learning Centers.  We offer tutoring (writing included), skills development, SI, and ADA/504 support, as well as dabbling in faculty development.  Last fall, we served about 40% of our undergraduates, while in the recent spring, we dropped to about 35%.  If we take the longer view and run the numbers over the course of both semesters, we usually serve around 50% of our undergraduates.  Our largest group served in the fall is first semester students (40%), while in the spring, we see big jump in sophomore use (34%).

We continue to discuss what the numbers tell us, but, concurring with Eva, we are very pleased that students and faculty perceive our services as a tool for personal development, electing to use them as opposed to being compelled to do so.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eva Falletta
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: % of campus population using your services

This is a great question.  While I was doing my program review last
year, I wanted to know the same thing.  I couldn't find comparative data
to see how our Learning Center was doing compared to others.  It's
difficult to compare apples to apples because Learning Centers are
structured differently.  Our Center consists of a Writing Center,
Math/Science Tutoring, and tutoring for many other subject areas.
During FY 04-05, approximately one-third of students enrolled in credit
classes at my campus utilized the Learning Center.  I think this is very
good, especially since students who utilize our Center do so because
they realize the value and benefit, not because they are required to.

Eva Falletta
Learning Center Director
Chandler-Gilbert Community College

Marcy Marinelli wrote:

>A question has come up as far as what is an average percentage
>utilization rate for learning assistance services on our campuses.  Does
>anyone track data on what percent of your campus population uses your
>services each year?  A colleague at another campus contacted me and
>wondered whether the 27% of students who used their services was a good,
>bad or average number.  Anyone out there care to comment?  I know that
>here we see about 12% of the undergraduate population each year.we also
>have data that show that by graduation, 25% of our students have used
>the services of our Counseling Center (of which LAS is a part).  I'd
>love to hear what other people are finding.  Thanks!
>
>Marcy Marinelli
>
>Marcy Marinelli, Ph.D., NCC
>Director, Learning Assistance Service
>Assistant Director, Counseling Center
>1104 Shoemaker Building
>University of Maryland
>College Park, MD  20742
>301-314-7680
>301-314-9206 (fax)
>
>"We can't become what we need to be by remaining what we are."  ~Oprah
>Winfrey

Eva Falletta
Director, Learning Center
Chandler-Gilbert Community College