-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frank Christ
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 3:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FYI-- New report and developmental students

Colleagues, the recent post by Mary Leahy (Re FYI-New Report),
stimulated me to look at LSCHE for a definition of "developmental
student."  Although LSCHE has compiled ten definitions for the term,
"developmental education,"
there is not a definition for "developmental student."  I don't
recollect ever having seen such a definition. Hw does one differentiate
between developmental students and those not described as developmental?
Are developmental students the underprepared students?

I did not find a definition for a developmental student in the  Casazza
and Silverman book, Learning Assistance and Developmental Education. The
authors, however, did state that "One significant aspect of this shift
in perspective [from remedial and compensatory to developmental]  is
that all students are potentially developmental students: ..." Page 32.

In Maxwell,  improving Student Learning Skills: A New Edition, Maxwell
wrote"In an earlier edition of this book, I defined developmental
students as those whose skills, knowledge, motivation, and/or academic
ability are significantly below those of the 'typical' student in the
college or curriculum in which they are enrolled."  Page 2.

In the Cross book, Beyond the Open Door, I did not find a definition.
Perhaps she had a definition in one or more of her other books.

In the Boylan book, What Works: Research-Based Practices in
Developmental Education, the terms, "developmental education" and
"underprepared students"
are defined.I did not find a definition for  "Developmental students."

 Nor did I find one in the Van doctoral dissertation, The Application of
Essential Developmental Education Principles by Program Administrators,
although the author had a section, "Definition of Terms, that included
three definitions related to developmental education. Pp.9-10.

Perhaps, someone has defined "developmental student" using criteria by
which such students can be empirically recognized. I am not an expert in
this area but I do believe that if we are discussing developmental
education, we need to have developmental students defined and
differentiated from non-developmental students. It may be that the
criteria established by Piaget or Perry in naming developmental stages
might be starting points.

Perhaps Stahl, Caverly, Boylan, Roueche or others who publish on
developmental education have defined in print their definitions of a
developmental student. If so,  can anyone cite specific references
(title, author, date, page) that define a developmental student? If so,
I would add them to the LSCHE resources on definitions that currently
has no definition of a developmental student.
Collegially.......

[log in to unmask]                   For all of us to win in the knowledge
economy,
Frank L Christ                      we need to unleash the knowledge in
our
Emeritus, CSULB                document databases, use and reuse our
past
Visiting Scholar, U of AZ     knowledge, find ways to create new
knowledge
             and then share it across our enterprise........
             ...Rick Thoman, Former Xerox Corp President & CEO
LSCHE Web Portal:      http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/~lsche/