Jan,
I am developmental educator at a 4-year university in Arkansas.  We have a department that teaches what we call transitional reading, writing, and algebra (2 course of algebra).  Our students are admitted conditionally either because they need two transitional courses or because they need one transitional course and have low admit points.  Our students take college level courses in conjunction with the transitional courses and are required to take a 1 credit hour course to introduce them to our university and give them some much needed information on study skills and test taking.

If you want more information on our program you can contact me directly.
Yours,
Lisa

Lisa Christman
Instructor of Mathematics
University College
University of Central Arkansas
501-450-3311
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/07/06 8:56 AM >>>
Colleagues,

I am curious about whether a program exists which does all or most of the following at a four-year institution.

1.  students are conditionally admitted if they need two or more developmental courses
2.  they take the developmental courses at a community college or tech school
3.  students live at 4-yar campus even though they are takuing courses elsewhere
4.  learning assistance and other support is provided by the 4-year college
5.  upon successful completion of the developmental work, students begin attending the 4-year
6.  the program is managed by the 4-year college

If you have any ideas, suggestions, contacts, articles, etc., please let me know.  Thanks!

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Resources