	From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on behalf of Kathy Evertz
	Sent: Tue 5/23/2006 8:27 AM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: Re: Learning centers and libraries sharing space & resources

	I,too, am interested in these same questions--we are just starting
	conversations with the library (which has been in conversations with
	IT) about developing a learning commons.

	Thanks,
	Kathy

	Kathy Evertz, Ph.D.
	Director, Academic Support Center
	203 Scoville (B-ASC)
	Carleton College
	One North College St.
	Northfield, MN  55057
	507-646-4015

	Aloha from Hawaii,
	My community college is starting to look at the possibility of
	reconfiguring
	space to create a new type of learning environment that would include
	the
	LRC, Library, and some IT services.  The LRC and Library are
	currently on
	different floors of the library building (we take up part of the
	ground
	level, the Library is on the next two floors) and operate quite
	separately.
	The idea seems to be to combine and renovate our facilities in some
	way to
	enable us to share some costly resources (i.e. technology) and make
	it
	easier for students to use all the services, without changing our
	organizational structure.  Terms I've been given that are supposed to
	be
	relevant to this concept are learning commons, learning spaces,
	learning
	environment, etc.  I've read some information (including perusing
	the
	Dartmouth collaborative facilities site
	< http://www.dartmouth.edu/~collab/>), but find that the majority of
	these
	spaces seem to be focused on combining libraries with IT, with much
	less
	involvement of learning/tutoring centers.

	It looks like this change would probably involve moving the LRC
	upstairs,
	something which I'm not sure would be in our best interests unless it
	gave
	us more space (perhaps our scarcest resource).  While I feel
	uncertain, I
	feel I need to learn more, since if funds are available for this
	project, it
	would be a unique opportunity to upgrade our ageing facilities (our
	buildings are 38 years old).  After this lengthy preface, here are
	my
	questions:

	- Do you have any experience with combining a learning center and
	library?
	If so, how did it work out?  What were the challenges and rewards?
	Was an
	architect involved in design and planning?  How much student
	involvement was
	there in planning? How much faculty (instructional) involvement?  Is
	the
	space integrated with classroom instruction in any way?  (From my
	limited
	reading, one of the goals seems to be to have a more seamless
	connection
	between in-class and out-of-class learning.)

	- Can you recommend any colleges that have exemplary spaces that we
	could go
	to look at -- preferably on or near the west coast?  (Suggestions
	for
	relevant websites and publications would be great, too.)

	BTW, our campus does not yet have wireless access.  We all know it's
	needed,
	but so far the funds are not available.

	Thanks in advance for any information you can share with me!

	  beth

	)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

	Beth Kupper-Herr
	Professor
	Coordinator, Learning Resource Center
	Leeward Community College