At UW-Barron County we have administered the paper version of the LASSI
to our Study Skills class (LEA 102, 2 non-degree credits) for students
who place into our developmental English course and students who are
conditional admits based on their high school percentile ranking.  I go
in and administer in one period and debrief them during the next period.
I talk about what the difference scales mean.  For those who score low
in several sections of the LASSI, I use the terminology of areas for
improvement rather than weaknesses.  Since I didn't teach LEA 102, I am
not sure how the instructor incorporated and used the results in the
rest of the class.

However, this fall we re-structuring the LEA 102 course in the following
ways (as a result of my recommendations... :-)):

*         Offering the course as a First Year Seminar (LEC 100, 2
elective degree credits) to replace LEA 102 in the hopes of helping
increase the students' motivation now that the course will impact their
GPA and work towards their degree.  All students who test into our ENG
098 (Basic Comp.) and/or who are admitted as conditional students are
required to take the course.

*         Team-teaching the course.  I will be team-teaching the course
for the first time with the instructor of the developmental English
course, rather than just having her as the sole instructor.  I
team-taught a study skills class this past spring with the former
instructor and the student eval comments favored the team approach.

*         Using LASSI with follow-up activities and projects.

*         Using StrengthsFinder(r) assessments to focus on their
strengths.  I have used StrengthsFinder(r) this past spring and in Fall
2004.

*         Using Skip Downing's OnCourse philosophy and text as a
supplemental text.  I will be attending the On-Course training this
summer.

*         We will be using the text, How to Study in College by Walter
Pauk as the new next, replacing the Master Student text we have been
using.

I am hoping these changes will result in greater retention and better
academic success for our students.  I will be tracking our experiences
(and hopefully our success) and more than likely submit our results for
a presentation at the 2007 NCLCA conference.

Travis Ramage

Coordinator of Adult Student Services/

Academic Success Program

UW-Barron County