From: Laura Symons
Sent: Mon 6/26/2006 5:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: LASSI use

We use the online version of LASSI with first-year students.  We haven't
used a post-test but I think some of the reasons for lower post-test
scores could be the student being more aware of what he/she actually
does or being more honest the second time around. Also, elements of
motivation and anxiety can be affected by situations outside of the
academic realm. Personally, I think the instrument is great as a way of
introducing metacognition and helping students understand what skills
they need to develop. I don't think I would use it for assessment.

Laura Symons

Coordinator of the Learning Center
Piedmont  Virginia Community College
501 College Drive