On 6/27/06, Bill Richards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> PC Magazine has an interesting piece about social networking -- more
> interesting because it's in PC Magazine.
>
> Here are the titles of the various pieces:
>
> MySpace Nation
> Heroes of Social Networking
> How To Get Started: Tips From The Insiders
> Diary of a Madman?
> How To Control Your Content
> Social Networking on the Fringe
> Social Networks: Mobile Edition
>
> http://www.pcmag.com/print_article2/0,1217,a=181460,00.asp

This sounds more like business' idea of "networking" than SNA. e.g.:
"We also show you how you can use social networking to get ahead, make
friends, lose weight, and more."

"the ever-growing phenomenon of social networking," but... it's been
around for as long as society... it's just that now poorly designed
websites are trying to exploit it.

" So far, MySpace president Tom Anderson is the prom king, with more
than 80 million friends." Is this a joke? Tom is added to everyone's
page by default (like how News is added to people's
watched-communities by default).

I'm not surprised PC Magazine did this. It's all about the websites
and doesn't mention how severely broken they are (see, e.g.,
http://danah.org/papers/) or any actual social network research
(besides a token tip to "6 degrees of seperation").

-Nick