Good afternoon,

  I am embarking on a project that will require the collection of retrospective network data. I will be surveying people about (among other things) their social networks over the course of their careers. As you can imagine, I have concerns about how well people will remember who was in their networks at any given time and about how best to inquire about this information.

  I'm also weighing name generators vs. position generators. This is not for a strictly SNA project, but to test a career-prediction model in which one's social network is an independent variable and one's career outcome (quality of current job measured on a number of axes) is the dependent variable. I would, ideally, like to know the content of the person's network at the time of each job change.

  I am presently looking for suggestions of literature that could help guide my decisions and, of course, I'd welcome any advice that INSNA folk may offer.

  Thanks much,

  Shawn Neidorf
  University of Illinois Dept. of Sociology