All:

Here are the remaining 2006 and 2007 schedules for birding tours at
STA-5 in Hendry County. The next birding tour is this coming
Saturday, June 24th. Please contact Margaret England c/o the Hendry-
Glades Audubon Society ahead of time if you and your group plan to go
on any of these tours. Margaret can be contacted @ 863.517.0202 or by
email at:  [log in to unmask]  For general information,
contact BJ Kattel @ 561.682.6640

Note: Beginning in May 2006 , birders will be allowed to drive around
the cell 1-B in a one-way fashion. It is strongly advised to carpool
to minimize the number for vehicles in the area. The caravan will be
led by the Hendry-Glades Audubon Society staff/member. If severe
weather occurs, the birding tour may be cancelled. Please give
Margaret a cellphone number if possible where you can be reached. All
tours begin at 8:30 am at the main gate to STA-5. Birders may also
caravan from the La Belle McDonald's parking lot at 8:00 am with
Margaret  England if desired. For a map to STA-5, go here:

http://www.sfwmd.gov/newsr/sta5_map.jpg

DIRECTIONS:

 From West Palm Beach and points east:

 From I-95 take Southern Blvd. (S.R. 80) approximately 45 miles west
to the town of South bay. From South bay, proceed west on U.S. Rte.
27 approximately 13.5 miles to C.R. 835 (aka Evercane Rd.) -- look
for J&J Agricultural Products sign on left). Turn south on C.R. 835
and go approximately 9.5 miles to Blumberg Rd. (at second bend in the
road). Turn left at Blumberg Rd. and continue approximately 9 miles
to the STA-5 turn-off (unpaved road on the right). Go 2.5 miles on
the unpaved road to the STA-5 entrance gate.

 From Ft. Myers/Naples and points west:

Take C.R. 846 (Immokalee) Rd east, through the town of Immokalee.
Turn right at Main Street and go 3/4 mile or so before C.R. 846 turns
off to the left by the Immokalee Airport all the way to where it
intersects with C.R. 833. This is a sharp right-hand turn at that
intersection with C.R. 833.  C.R. 833 is also called Government Rd.
or Snake Rd. further south of the Big Cypress Seminole Indian
Reservation.  About two or three miles north of the Big Cypress
Seminole Indian Reservation, leave C.R. 833 and turn left at the C.R.
835 sign heading toward Clewiston. Take C.R. 835 which zigs and zags
east-west & north-south past Canon Hammock S.P. onward to Clewiston
but only take C.R. 835 as far as Blumberg Rd., (watch for the big
communication tower on your left) and turn south (right) for 9.5
miles or so until the road splits and a dirt road goes off to the
right from the paved road. Take that dirt road 2.5 miles to reach STA-5.

 From Miami and points south:

STA-5 is south of Clewiston on the NW corner of Rotenberger WMA. From
Miami: Get to Alligator Alley (I-75) via your favorite route (e.g.,
Turnpike to I-75, Palmetto to I-75, I-95 to I-595 W to I-75). Go west
to Government aka Snake Road at the Miccosukee gas station -- (Exit
49 of I-75) and head north. Take Government Road north to S.R. 835.
Follow S.R. 835 west, north, and west to Blumberg Road. Take
Blumberg, which quickly turns south, for about 9 miles to the STA-5
turn-off (dirt road). Go south for another 2 1/2 miles on the dirt
road to the STA-5 entrance gate. Park before the gate in the area to
the right.

Alternate route: From I-75, take US Rte. 27 north to South Bay.
Contiue west on US Rte. 27 from South Bay toward Clewiston for about
13 1/2 miles. Look for Evercane Road (C.R. 835) and the J & J
Agricultural Products sign. Continue south on C.R. 835 for about 9
1/2 miles to Blumberg Rd (at the second bend in the road). Turn left
onto Blumberg and continue another nine miles to the STA-5 turnoff
(dirt road). Go south for 2 1/2 miles on the dirt road to the STA 5
entrance gate. Park before the gate in the area to the right.

2006: All Saturdays

June 24
July 29
Aug. 26 (Fall Bird Count)